Saturday, January 2, 2010

5 Ways to stay awake while Studying

Don't many of us have this problem? Having your mind splitted into 2, your lazy mind will tell you to just lie on your bed, and take a "short break", while your hardworking mind will tell you to continue reading because you don't have much time left. It is a constant battle between these 2 sides. As for me, the one that tells me to go to sleep usually wins, especially when my stomach is full after a hefty meal.And so, here I have created a list of things that you can use/do to keep yourself awake while you are studying. Think of them as weapons your hardworking mind can use against your lazy mind.

Weapon No.1 : The Coffee

Ahh, yes, the classic stimulant. But the true secret is not what coffee you drink, but rather how you drink it. My suggestion is that you first take in half a cup, as the loading dose. Then subsequently, after certain time intervals, you take in 1 mouthful. The idea is to find your "Coffee Steady State". Hence, the caffeine would not be too much as to cause you to get severe palpitations, and not too little as to lose its stimulant effect. But anyways, on days when you feel that you do not need coffee to keep you going, don't take any coffee! Surely you do not want to be desensitized to the coffee so early, especially if you are still a medical student and yet to start working as a doctor.

Weapon No.2 : The Face wash

Nothing like a sudden blast of cold water onto your face to shock you up and making you "even fresher as the freshiest fruit" in the store.




 Weapon No.3 : The Push-Ups and Sit-Ups

These will definitely make your heart go pounding strong again, and the best part about them is, they help you stay in shape too.

Weapon No.4 : The Psych up

Psych yourself up by either reminding yourself the ultimate reason you are studying, or if you are an asian, reminding yourself that your friends/competitors are studying harder than you.

Weapon No.5 : The Wind Oil

This is called a "Wind Oil" when directly translated from Mandarin ("Fong You"). When you apply this directly under your nose, you get a spicy minty aroma that is sure to keep you awake. Beware though, it can be pretty addictive. :)

A western alternative to this would be something like Vicks, or anything that has eucalyptus in it.





How do you stay awake while studying? Please do share under the comments section, and let me update this list in the future.

46 comments:

  1. hmm, thanks i need to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking plenty of water while studying helps you to stay awake. When your body is dehydrated you tend to feel sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. remember to take a break after an hour of study

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, we have "minyak angin" too here! Gotta go give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have exams and i need to stay awake at nights to study but nothing really works for me.Plus i am having problems to remeber whatever I learned,what should I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always revise the part of your studies twice and if u revise a thing before 12 hours ...dat stays in ur mind for a longer tym....hope i helped...:)

      Delete
  6. "if you are an asian, reminding yourself that your friends/competitors are studying harder than you."

    - Thats my motivation for the day sorted :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy vitamin B Complex. it help to increase neurotransmittiong speed(Becosuels syrup)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you split your meals though out the day, your metabolism will stay up and you too with it ;)
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Psych yourself up by either reminding yourself the ultimate reason you are studying, or if you are an asian, reminding yourself that your friends/competitors are studying harder than you."

    That is an extremely racist remark. I find it totally disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol you must be bored. shut up.

      Delete
    2. Only racism is racist. You live in 2012 no one cares where your from.

      Delete
    3. I'm pretty sure if the author is Asian, he/she is attempting a sort of 'inside joke' between Asians in general. And as an Asian myself, not only do I find it funny, but its actually quite true. It's not a big deal, not derogatory at all. For most, its a fact. So chill :).

      Delete
    4. yeah please. shut up!!!

      Delete
    5. why do people always have to be so stuck up and not have a sense of humour?? ... its not racist jeez.. do you have to make everything a problem?? ... ID-I-OT!

      Delete
    6. As Qaiserina said, its an inside joke. I'm an Asian myself and its pretty funny, yet true. Chill :)! Relax a little more :)! Not everything should be serious.

      Delete
    7. Yea!!! If you find it racist, go hug a transformer... And shut up!

      Delete
    8. why you gotta be anonymous i wanna know i wanna know your name your name your name whyy you gottta be anonymous baby i want you so much, so much so why you gotta be anonymous.
      vhdzkjfbkasdfv KITTY GET OUT OF THE FWEEZA!

      Delete
    9. Hahaha... Now this guy really sounds Asian. Like that angry Asian restaurant prank call on youtube.

      Delete
    10. Take a 5-min break and go to youtube to watch a funny video, then get back to your studies. It helps. Prank calls are especially fun and lively

      Delete
  10. "or if you are an asian, reminding yourself that your friends/competitors are studying harder than you."

    That is an extremely racist remark. I find it totally disgusting.

    -Repost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "or if you are an asian, reminding yourself that your friends/competitors are studying harder than you."

    That is an extremely racist remark. I find it totally disgusting.


    DUDE!! Seriously, its a joke, get a grip on yourself. How come no-one can ever just take things lightly and laugh these days. no we would rater be big stroppy monsters! YAY! YIPPEE! western civilisation is skrewed... my poor non existant gran kids, god help them if they have a single bone of SARCASM IN THEM! (@ anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  12. its a fact, relax people jeeze

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow i seriously need motivation...i work better in the monrings but for reason i start late at night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is true:) Though I mainly rely on cigarettes, coffe and energy drinks. I'm a med student, too, btw:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Psych yourself up by either reminding yourself the ultimate reason you are studying, or if you are an asian, reminding yourself that your friends/competitors are studying harder than you."

    Lol, this one actually works for me. Reminding myself right now =.=; Back to studying!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have my internal exams 2mrw. Being a medical student myself I know first hand that doing an all nighter is the only way to complete an extremely vast syllabus. Also as an Asian Indian I totally agree that we're way to competitive when it comes to exams (although there are exceptions..lol). Thanks for the help :-) Gotta get bak to my books now ....

    ReplyDelete
  17. i suggest what can naturally help are self discipline and supression,afterall time for everything,these to me have got no side effects....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOLed about the Asian comment. Spot-on! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cigarettes word pretty good .

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stopped paying attention after a med student couldn't distinguish lose from loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... I didn't even notice that. Good one!

      Delete
    2. That's what intense medical studying does to your brain lol

      Delete
  21. heck I was trying to stay up studying but got distracted by the comments lolol

    ReplyDelete
  22. if only i were Asian...

    ReplyDelete
  23. WTF? Define Asian please!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Asian thing was pretty true and totally Lolz. I am an Asian in pk and there is just as much competition as there is in Japan or china or whatever other people think Asia is. Lol truly lol.

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice 1, i truly appreciate..

    ReplyDelete
  26. that asian comment z definitely true.. im preparing for my final prof n all my classmates are acting like total strangers :D
    but for me, when im sleepy at night, not even thinking about competition energizes me up, rather i get depressed :p :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. all of you shut up and kindly give more ways tp help stay up while studying

    ReplyDelete
  28. The one who posted these tips is an Asian. I'm sure. well, whatever. Thanks for the tips. I'm just a 7th grade Indian but prefer studying in the night. Going to take med afterwards, sure about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well I was falling asleep but this woke me up and made me laugh (to myself since I am in the quiet room at the library). Thanks :) We should all laugh a little more and not take things so hard. Sarcasm is a gift, enjoy it people.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The comments are great. The Asian one is hysterical and Kudos to the people who appreciate it as a joke instead of being offended by it and everything else in the World that they don't consider PC....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Juss have a redbull n get wings to fly ova yo studies. Finish and clear.

    ReplyDelete